Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I have lived in the mid west my entire life. I grew up in a small town, graduated from high school with 68 students, and have lead a pretty sheltered life when it comes to interacting with other cultures. I have been a nurse for 10 years, working in many different areas of nursing. Currently I teach at a Technical College part-time and manage a home care company part-time. Since graduating from a ADA program in 2001, I have been going to school ever since. There is always something new in nursing to learn and there are many, many opportunities with in health care that nurses are needed in.

I am so grateful to be able to be a part of this immersion experience into the homeless population within Washington, D.C. I hope to gain more of an in depth understanding of the African American women and homelessness. We will be having many opportunities, while staying at the Steinbruck Center, to engage ourselves in many programs offered to the women and other homeless populations. One can only get so much information from reading books/articles, listening to others experience or watching films that actual immersion of ones self into to the population is the best experience one can have at gathering their own understanding.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Everyone! I posted some information about me under my name "Erin" but will share with all of you a little bit more. I grew up in a smaller town of about 10,000 people in Mound, MN. I graduated from high school in 2001 with a graduating class size of about 180, so fair enough to say I knew pretty much everyone in my class. I attended the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, MN with a major in Nursing. There is no specific event that prompted me to become a nurse but I knew that I loved to care for others. A few days after graduating College, I traveled to Leipzig, Germany through an exhchange program with the College. This was a ton of fun. We spent time living and learning at the Medical Institue of the University of Leipzig. I traveled with two other health science students and my chemistry professor. We were able to shadow health science students in Germany through their clinicals and also in other hospitals and clinics within the city. In return these students would travel to our college to experience our culture. It was a great opportunity for me to venture out and about!

    Although Germany was a blast, this immersion experience in Washington D.C. will be as memorable if not more because we will be directly interacting with a population in need. I am so excited to have the opportunity to venture to Washington D.C to work with the homeless population. We will be staying at the Steinbruck Center and will also be involved in many activities that they have kindly coordinated with our instructor Lee Ellen. This is such a great way to see first hand the struggles that this population deals with. However, I am already captivated by the strength that this population holds as well. I will keep you all posted as our immersion experience draws near!!!!
    Thanks,
    Erin : )

    ReplyDelete