Friday, April 2, 2010

The Letter "L"


I like the poem "Where I'm From" (above, center) because it reminds me that this young woman from Washington, DC has a strong sense of pride in her city and in her roots in the city. The poet, Sharri, is a 4th grade student from one of the inner city public elementary schools in Washington, DC.

Throughout our cultural immersion, it has been tempting to compare "what we have" and "what others don't have"....

Well, what we don't have is an inner city background. Most of us are from small Midwestern towns. And, while each of us holds our background in some degree of esteem, it is important to be reminded of the pride that others have in theirs.

Enjoy Sharri's proud song (reprinted below):

Where I'm from is my mother.

I look out at the city and all I see is the light

shining on me

and the buildings smiling at me

and the people saying hello to me

and the wind blowing at me

and I know I'm in a happy city

Do you know too?

I pick yes for my answer

because cities like DC are somewhere to live

somewhere to do something fun

and have something to say and somewhere to come

and that's the story of where I'm from.

No comments:

Post a Comment