Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jen's Journal

Day 2

The morning was spent preparing for our afternoon blood pressure clinic and discussing our own images and thoughts of homelessness with Sharon Watkins, the director and nurse of the Wellness Center within N. Street Village. She started by asking us why we were all on this trip and what we wanted to gain from the experiences we were about to embark on. For the most part our reactions were similar; “I grew up in a small Midwestern town…,” “I have had minimal exposure to poverty or major cultural diversity…,” and “I hope these experiences open my eyes and allow me to think differently about other populations and cultures.” Within minutes Sharon had lead our group discussion directly into a deeper level of thinking surrounding topics of hope, despair, frustration, choice….the list was very long. She was able to take every concept I could imagine and view it from an entirely different angle, one which most of us had never thought of.

For example: choice. I like to think I make a conscious effort to consider other viewpoints and circumstances when formulating an opinion on someone or a situation, but accepting and supporting someone’s decision which I consider a “poor choice” remains difficult for me. I understand the right of individual choice but until Sharon spoke of her viewpoint surrounding the topic, I never viewed choice as one of the last remaining personal abilities a person has when they are homeless. Each day I take for granted the choices I make and the fact that I have so many options, unlike the homeless. The fact that a women chooses not to take her medication or follow dietary recommendations from her provider still remains frustrating to me as a health care employee and future provider, but it is not my job to judge or determine what is a good/bad choice. Everyone’s life is different and what appears important to one person may not be to another. As healthcare providers, our job is to provide patients with the knowledge and tools to make educated decisions. Judgments should not be placed upon people based on the outcomes from a choice they made; rather, guidance, direction, and support should be offered.

Personally Sharon’s words left me humbled and someone ashamed of my previous thoughts. Her incite on the homeless population was amazing and incredibly moving and I thank her from the bottom of my heart for placing a new perspective into my mind. Here is a photo of the group after the blood pressure clinic with Sharon centered in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment