Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jen's Journal

Day 1

Sunday, our first full day in Washington DC was filled with excitement and apprehension as we were unsure of what to expect. Will people be overwhelming and begging of us or will they appreciate our kind words and efforts?

We walked about a mile to Martha’s Table in the cool rainy weather which conveniently followed us from Wisconsin to make an even 10 days of dreariness. Martha’s table from the outside resembled a basic soup kitchen, but once inside we learned they were much more involved. The center truly attempts to support the whole family with their efforts in serving the homeless and those who have “fall between the cracks.” They distribute meals in several forms, sell discounted clothing, and have created a daycare or learning center for at-risk children and youth.

The focus on children at Martha’s Table really impressed me but it also made me think about how different life growing up is for a disadvantaged inner city child compared to my childhood. Martha’s Table has developed programs to include children as young as 3 months up to 18 years of age. Children can be tutored in areas such as literacy and mathematics, and as they grow older, efforts are often shifted to college preparation. The children in the DC area are incredibly vulnerable especially if their parent(s) is already struggling, and these programs have created wonderful starting points for many children and their families.

This image is captures the area where children can play outside at Martha’s Table. Although it’s a wonderful area which appears relatively safe as is enclosed by metal bars, it is a far cry from what my childhood life was like and it makes me wonder…had I grown up in this environment how might my life be different? I grew up on a 400 acre farm in the middle of the country outside of a very rural town. I remember running through the woods with my little sister and playing on the grass. These children have a tiny area of blackened wood chips which is anything but impressive to me yet probably is a slice of outdoor heaven to them. As we learned later in the week, not all schools in the DC area had an outdoor area for energy release so perhaps this is better than nothing. I have to admit, mixed feelings were raging through my mind after this experience. How do we make conditions better for children when space and safety are at a premium?

No comments:

Post a Comment