Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Unity in Diversity?


I've always liked the notion of unity. Since I was a small child learning about the "UNITED" States, there is something patriotic and almost magical about the power of being united.
Drawn to the statue of the child and parent, I found myself wandering over to take a photo on this sunny, spring DC day. Sure enough, on the base is the inscription "Unity in Diversity"...I knew there was reason I liked that statue so much.
Signs of diversity in the neighborhood are everywhere. From ethnic restaurants to persons walking on the streets, this is one colorful and racially diverse community within Washington, DC.
I wonder, though, whether homeless persons rank just outside the margins of inclusiveness? Just as the solo gentleman sitting on a bench at the base of the statue, it could be that this spirit of inclusiveness is for all BUT the homeless.
Maybe because they smell bad, look unkempt, don't brush their teeth, have mental illness (as we were told is true of 99% of the population), or suffer addictions.
Are they are not part of the "inclusive equation"?

No comments:

Post a Comment