Monday, March 29, 2010

Through My Eyes

Our last day in D.C. started out at Thrive DC which is a soup kitchen for the homeless and low income. Volunteering at Thrive DC really showed me what a soup kitchen is/does. Before this experience when I thought of a soup kitchen I would think of it as a place that the homeless and poor go to get a hot meal, once a day or just on the weekend, boy was I wrong.

Thrive DC had to move the middle of last year to a new location and a church stepped up to let them use their basement. Thrive DC doesn’t just offer a hot meal to the homeless they also offer hot showers, laundry services, case managers (to assist people who want help for housing, health care, jobs, etc.), personal hygiene products, food bags, and a evening meal/program for women and children.

Below Beth and Erin cutting onions.
A few of us helped out in the kitchen myself included, I don’t understand how I was always in the kitchen I don’t like to cook and my kids can verify that:)! While in the kitchen the chef explained to us how this program works and said he has been the chef for the past three years and really enjoys it the recipients of the meal really seemed to respect him and all of the other volunteers. While serving the people I was surprised by some of the people whom came through the line. I thought four of these people whom were very well dressed and had no belongings with them worked at the soup kitchen I was wrong…these people were on the verge of homelessness. All of the people whom came through the line for a meal were very thankful for their meals and thanked us for volunteering, what a rewarding personal experience.










Above Kelly mixing meat and sauce and Jen interacting with a gentleman at the soup kitchen.

Our afternoon was spent at Christ House, which is a health care recovery facility for homeless persons. Hospitals treat homeless people for emergencies, but they are often discharged early and must return to the street where they cannot rest and recuperate. Christ House is a 34-bed health care facility where homeless men and women may stay as long as their illness requires them to recuperate; some never end up leaving due to their diagnosis. Medical services, case management, day treatment programs, patient activities, and food services are offered to all patients. Of the $3million dollars that it cost to run Christ House ¾ of the funding comes from fund raising and ¼ comes from government grants. Many, many volunteers help out daily to keep cost as low as possible. Thank God for volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment